Voting

Sunday, May 8, 2011

My hatpin collection

When I was little I was fascinated by my grandma's hatpin collection, how did those long sharp ornate things hold a hat on your head, it would be impossible, the wind would blow off your hat then you'd be poked with the pointy end of the hatpin!
 I'm older now and my grandma is gone,
 I now have and love the hatpin collection for my own.

I remember going visiting with her to my great aunt's,  the house smelled old and antique, she had framed pictures of people with no smiles and lots of clothes, there was fancy dark furniture that smelled old and a chair that was stuffed with horse hair, she was my grandfather's sister and since my grandfather had passed away long before I was born,
that made her really, really old (she did however make the best Cornflake Cake in the world).
Returning to my grandma's house, it never smelled old or antique,
just like Nana's house that's all. 
 I would spend hours looking through her drawers of stuff and with it came really important questions like "Did the sun shine when you were a little girl?"  



Of course it did.

It's funny how I now love and appreciate old, antique things like hatpin collections and musty old furniture.  I think I'll make an okay Nana one day.

Aunt Ila's Cornflake Cake
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
Bring to a boil for 1 minute, no longer.
Add 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1tsp. vanilla
Mix well.
Add 2 cups each Cornflakes and Cheerios. Mix everything together.
Press into greased 8x8 pan, let set till cooled then cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment